Family pictures are meant to be fun. We focus on creating a stress-free environment to get the family portraits you will cherish. Remember: Anyone can take a good picture every now and then, but your kids grow up fast and before you know it they leave for college. Memories fade, so trust Photos by Bur’den professional photography to capture those special memories. Schedule your professional photography session for family pictures with Photos by Bur’den, located just a few minutes North of Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Here are some tips to help ensure beautiful family pictures during your session with Photos by Bur’den.
Communicate what you are looking for in your photos
- Bring examples and ideas to help us understand your vision.
- Prep ahead to reduce time and stress as much as possible.
- Select your outfits and try everything on beforehand to ensure it is comfortable, fits to your liking, and looks the way you envision
- Put your outfits together the night before to ensure you aren’t forgetting anything; it prevents you from feeling rushed or stressed before the professional photography session.
- Spend time with your family doing something fun and enjoyable before your session. The positivity will reflect in the family dynamics of your photos.
- Select Color Themes
- Wear solid colored clothing.
- Muted tones that are a bit subdued.
- 1-3 colors for your group portrait, ones with similar tones that go nicely together and have everyone work within that color palette. For example: dark green, navy, and burgundy – all dark jewel tones. Or tan, a lighter olive green, and denims – all lighter, softer tones.
- For a soft elegant look, choose neutral colors with soft flowing fabrics.
- Want to showcase the fun and spunky side of your family? Choose coordinating colors with bold accent colors to complement each other (but not matchy, matchy, creating color competition). Include fun accessories like scarves, headbands, hats, etc. that can add a modern twist and sassy flair to your family pictures
- Tops with sleeves at least to the elbow. Long pants for men/ladies or a skirt below the knee for ladies. Dark socks and footwear. (unless it’s a barefoot photo)
- Keep jewelry simple and minimalistic.
- If getting a haircut or new hairdo, make your appointment at least 2 weeks prior to your portrait session
- Eat Beforehand
- Hunger can be distracting, especially for children. Bring along snacks as long as they are not messy.
- Pick a time that will work well for your children.
Trust Your Photographer
- All too often, parents get nervous when their child isn't looking at the photographer or smiling "right.” Photos by Bur’den is seasoned in family portrait photography. Relax, and let us work our magic.
Bring Toys or Props
- If you have younger children, bring along favorite toys to help get their attention, or to use as props in your family pictures.
Decide on a Reward
- Plan a family activity like getting ice cream, to reward small children after the session – but don’t tell them about it just yet! While adults can stand sitting still and holding candid expressions for longer lengths of time, kids will get restless; we can get a few more shots in towards the end of a photography session by telling them there is a reward coming soon.
We look forward to capturing family memories that will last a lifetime at your professional photography session with Photos by Bur’den. Please contact us today to book a session at our studio in Belmont, just a short drive from Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Professional Photography Tips for Family Portraits